number of children and their tendency to leave all sorts of sweet food and drink which provide an abundance of food for ants and the rest of their insect friends make the average kindergarten into one big ant kingdom.
Before doing pest control in a kindergarten, there are some important things one must know in order to maintain the safety of the children and kindergarten staff:
- Before pesticides are applied all toys, games, carpets, chairs, tables, etc. must be picked-up and moved away from walls and all counter-tops in the kitchen and bathroom including the sinks must be cleared of all objects.
- Pest control should not be done when there are children or adults on the premises, even if they are in a different room or area of the kindergarten (in accordance with Ministry of Education’s directives).
- Children should not be allowed in the area where pesticides were applied for at least six hours after application, and babies should not be allowed to crawl on the floor until it is washed, which can be done only 48 hours after application.
- Before using the kitchen and bathrooms, all areas used for food preparation and washing hands must be cleaned with a damp cloth (that should be thrown away afterwards) and some dish detergent.
- Be sure to ask exterminator to see his exterminator license as well as the type of pesticides he is going to use in the kindergarten to make sure it does not contain organic phosphorus.
- After pesticides are applied, the exterminator is supposed to leave a label containing basic safety instructions, his exterminator license number, the type of active substance that he used, and his phone number and the phone number for the National Center for Poisoning Treatment.
- In the case of pest control against mice or rats it is extremely important to make sure the exterminator does not place pesticides in places accessible to children or animals; contrary to insecticides, which can cause vomiting, dizziness, nausea, etc. and pass after a while, the pesticides used against rodents can cause death.
- It is best to have pest control done in kindergartens on Fridays after the children leave or on a day the children are on vacation.
Elad Uri, Agronomist and Certified Exterminator
Exterminator License Num. 1803
If you have any question, please contact us at: